Wednesday, March 9, 2016

The Judges Speak :: Twice

Yes, I said all that talk about Mod Mood was over, but then I came across this photo that I'd forgotten to share, so I'll do that and be done with it. I really do enjoy seeing how my quilts hang in conjunction with others.

photo courtesy Amy Smart

Yet while Mod Mood was having her moment of glory, another quilt had some excitement going on too.


Yes, Steeped in Tradition was hanging in the small quilt category of the show.

photo courtesy Jackie/tinwoman48

Here's what the judges had to say about her:


Not quite as glowing as Mod Mood's evaluation, and I have to agree. That white rectangle? In my scurry to finish the quilt, I forgot to trim it down as I'd intended. And the quilting stitches? One of the main reasons I just got a new machine. But note that '+' by the word 'binding.' Oh yeah, I'll take consolation in that.

But that's not all. On a whim, when I was registering for QuiltCon, I filled in the 'Sale Price' box with a number instead of the routine NFS (not for sale). Well lo and behold, on the last day of QuiltCon, I got an email that Steeped in Tradition had sold! This is a first among firsts!


So overall, I'm more than pleased. Kinda crazy how I didn't even make it to QuiltCon this year, but it sure provided me with plenty of affirmation and joy, just the same.

photo courtesy Jackie/tinwoman48

15 comments:

  1. I still love this quilt, congratulations on the sale! I saw that larger piece as sort of grounding the quilt in the foreground with its strength and size and pushing the rest into a sort of 3D mirror sort of view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Debbie. Well deserved and gives me hope some day I get the courage to check that box too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. bask in the great comment about the low volumes, the + and the sale! well done!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In my dream world should I ever enter Quiltcon and get a quilt accepted I think I'd take it to the grave!! But seriously I thought the comments were constructively worded. The point of the stitch length hit home to me as I don't have a stitch regulator and variety of stitch length is my trademark unfortunately!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Debbie, I love it! I don't find that right hand rectangle at all "overwhelming". It actually reflects the big black rectangle on the left. Congrats on the sale!
    Marcia "southernCharlie"

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! It was nice that the judges' comments were kindly worded. I'm so curious about what price you wrote down in your application! 😁

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved that you shared about this one too! Interesting reading the judges comments and I noticed that + by the binding too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so happy for you on the sale. I wish I got more constructive feedback, your feedback looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That piece doesn't bother me one little bit! I think it's beautiful and so did the new owner!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! Congratulations on the sale! That must feel awesome! :D
    Also I'm cracking up because I have a quilt in each of the larger group shots with yours. They were hanging out together!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, well done. I love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, well done. I love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so great! You had a great year at Quiltcon this year! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete