Thursday, March 26, 2015

The Next Canvas

After making Leanne/shecanquilt's Canvas pattern baby-sized last year, I knew I'd have to do that again sometime. It really is sweet and quick yet packs a modern punch.
I repeated the use of both solids and prints in the center blocks this time, though in a different arrangement. Something about the mix just adds a bit of fun. Also repeated are the borders in Modern Solids in grey by In the Beginning. There's something about this particular solid that I like. Back in the day when they were selling fabric, I'd purchased some at Pink Chalk Fabrics, who described them this way: "These fabrics are yarn dyed, woven fabrics with one color in the warp and another color in the filling. The warp and weft threads are generally a tonal variation of the same color creating an iridescent look. The color changes as the cloth moves in the light. The base cloth has a silky smooth hand and beautiful drape." The movement that 'iridescence' gives to the finished quilt is really something.
I dug in my stash for a backing and came up with teal Michael Miller ta dots. To bring it up to size, I fussy-cut a Cotton + Steel border print from Melody Miller's Mustang collection. Dare I say, I thought it worked out beautifully.
For quilting, I used my machine's serpentine stitch, which appears to be my 'go-to' stitch for baby quilts. Kinda playful, fun to stitch, and for reasons not totally understandable, it always goes so fast. One wrong turn at the machine and I found myself quilting a grid rather that the one-direction I had planned, but oh well! Rather than take it out, I went with it, and honestly, I kinda like it! I quilted using Aurifil 50wt #2600 (Dove), a good match for the border while leaving a subtle effect on the aqua and teal.

To finish, binding is of the same grey solid, just to keep the focus on the center spots of color. Measuring 36" square, a good wash and dry gave this little quilt a cozy softness and crinkle, just perfect for baby.

This quilt is on my 2015 Q1 FAL list!

10 comments:

  1. Great design for a baby quilt. I think the color pallette would suit a girl or boy, too, maybe replacing the floral with a geometric. Nice to have for a 'go-to' pattern.

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is such an awesome little quilt. and a grid of serpentine, hmmmm...... might have to try that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the simple elegance with this quilt.I'm with Julie, this is definitely a great quick go-to design in a pinch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful quilt. The backing is perfect! I am going to have to try the serpentine stitch on a quilt.
    Your pictures are beautiful and make me miss the Northwest. But not the perpetual fall/winter/spring drizzle/overcast/grayness - though it would be good for picture taking, I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the back Debbie, you DID do an amazing job. I want to sew quilts with you ;-)

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so neat to watch how you seem to whip out these lovelies. This one is so pretty, especially the colors. Thanks for sharing about that fabric warp and weft. I don't think I've ever seen it. You're fortunate to have the serpentine stitch on your sewing machine. I mention it as a quilting option for my students to use, in place of a straight stitch, and I'm always sorry for those quilters who don't have the stitch on their machines. Keep up your lovely work, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful quilt. What happened to pink chalk fabrics I like their shop

    ReplyDelete