Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Tuesday at the Table

It was great fun having out-of-town family stay at our house this weekend, and I especially enjoyed the time we spent together in the kitchen. Having my baking done, I cleared out and let my brother-in-law, niece, and her hubby take over. Niece was clearly in charge.

They were making an appetizer for our family gathering, which we concluded is loosely based on this recipe. {see here} But the friend my niece got it from had tweaked it, and niece was making it her own.

The whole time they were cooking, I was sitting just outside the kitchen at my computer, and kept popping in to ask questions, find a utensil, and take pictures. At one point, I asked if the apps were very spicy. Niece replied, "No, but they warm the lips." Ha! I laughed at that. And I got a kick out of her hubby, grating cheese with a food processor for the first time, holler, "This is insane!"

The bottom line is, these were a hit, were pretty quick to make, and as tasty as could be - a winning combination for one of those holiday parties coming up!

Southwest Won-ton Wraps
1 pkg. round won-ton wrappers
1# hot Jimmy Dean sausage, cooked and crumbled
1/2 can kernal corn, drained
1/2 can black beans, drained
1/4 red pepper, chopped
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup grated pepper-jack cheese
1/4 to 1/2 cup prepared Ranch dressing

Preheat oven to 375-degrees. Spray mini muffin tins with non-stick spray - enough for 48. Place a wrapper over each 'cup' and press to line the cup, using a tart tamper if you have one.
Prebake shells for just a few minutes to crisp them a bit.

Combine all filling ingredients, and fill each shell to overflowing.
Bake for 7 minutes, flip the tins, and bake for another 3 minutes, or until cheese is melted.

Serve warm if possible, but they are equally delish at room temp.

If you have apps, beverages, or other favorite "get-together" recipes, please share over the next few weeks. There are always plenty of functions to attend in December, and it adds to the fun to try a new recipe!

5 comments:

  1. Those sound delicious! I've had some appetizers that sound similar but were rolled up like an eggroll. They were great, but your niece's way sounds easier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Between you and Toni I am actually salivating. Man, this might actually mean I have to go to the kitchen and make something! Thanks for the inspiration...and hunger...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not only do they look great they sound intriguing, especially with the corn. Going to remember this one. Love the "they warm the lips" comment. I'll confess to having never grated cheese with my food processor either!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness those apps look delicious! I'll have to do those one day just because!

    ReplyDelete